The Carmel Canning Company warehouse #2 is one of the few remaining authentic and unchanged Cannery Row structures from the Steinbeck era. From 1927 until the end of sardine fishing in Monterey, it served to house canning supplies and finished products on two floors.
You can still see remnants of the great old endless conveyor belt that was used for moving crates from one floor to the next. The original integrity of the structure is visible with its exposed posts, beams and trusses.
After the sardines moved on, the building housed Nichols Plumbing for several decades until our purchase in 1994, thus saving it from the wrecking ball.
Our application to the City of Monterey for “Historic Structure” status was granted after the 1994 purchase. Our site was the first building on Cannery Row to be so designated. The restored Mall opened in June of 1995.
The Cannery Row Antique Mall has been in business for over 18 years. It won “Antique Mall of the Year” in 1996. Voted “Monterey County Weekly’s Best Antique Business” of the year 5 times over the years, and “Best Antique business” by the Carmel Pine Cone.